Thursday, June 01, 2006

Inspiration

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?"

Who are you not to be?

You are a child of the Universe. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the Glory of the Universe that is within us.

It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone.

As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

--Nelson Mandela
{1994 Inaugural Speech}

I've been thinking a lot about this quote lately. It's true, we all have unlimited potential, and I am personally afraid to try. It may be because I know what I could do or because I'm afraid that I won't be able to accomplish my dreams. It's easier to dream simply and meet your goals, but much less satisfying in the end. J and I are getting a lot of work done on the house, inside and out. We have a baby on the way and a room to prepare. We're going to get the house closed so that we really own it. J's job is coming through. Life is good right now. I'm at a good place. Why can't I use this momentum? There is no reason. In fact, I would be wrong not to try.

P.S. Ber, do you still have that book on Nelson Mandela? I'd love to borrow it if you do.

1 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Amberlynn said...

I do have the book... somewhere. I'll have to find it. That quote, however, is not from Nelson Mandela - the attribution to him is internet folklore. It is by Marianne Williamson from A Return To Love. The quote is, however, most inspiring and I have personally reflected on it many times.
It is hard to feel motivated when you are physically tired, and what's most damaging is that giving in to this lack of motivation feeds into MORE lack of motivation and more tiredness. I'm saying this as I think about the laundry I should do, the room I should straighten, and the piles of boxes I've yet to organize and store - and I haven't touched any of it for days. This is NOT a habit I want to have, especially because I've seen what work it can be to stay on top of any housekeeping once there are mobile children on the scene.
Erik and I are dreamers. We've sat up at night with smiles on our faces thinking how easy it would really be to create our dream home, or at least something close to it. We've decided to fulfill a dream to Mom that we all always assumed was a joke (like any of us were ever going to be in a position to just buy her a hot car!) Erik's jumping in head first to design a computer program to fill our budgeting tastes. I'm studying up on investing and planning on taking a bigger plundge in that direction soon. I still believe I can join the ranks of my Mother's and Sisters as a SuperMom.
I Love the theme in the movie Elisabethtown. If your gonna try, try big. If your gonna fail, go for Fiasco! Winners just know how to get up when they fall, dust off their knees, and go at it again. It's how we all learned how to walk - now if we could only remember and recapture that childhood gumption!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home